Saturday, August 4, 2018

Reading the Story of Moses


The story that is most referred to and most explained in the Quran is the story of Moses (pbuh) with Pharaoh and the Israelites. However, this story is not told in a chronological order like in a history book. Rather, pieces of it are narrated without a concern for order. Still, it is possible for us to gather these pieces and sew them that way. Furthermore, you can find different aspects of the event at different locations, and these various aspects must be combined to give a better understanding of what is going on. In this article, I am going to try to do that. In doing so,  from time to time,  I excluded the parts that I thought were repetitions.  I ask Allah forgiveness for any mistakes or errors in what I did.

Now, the story of Moses according to verses from the Quran:



In the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate

Indeed, Pharaoh exalted himself in the land and made its people into factions, oppressing a sector among them, slaughtering their [newborn] sons and keeping their females alive. Indeed, he was of the corrupters. (28/4)

And We wanted to confer favor upon those who were oppressed in the land and make them leaders and make them inheritors  (28/5)

And establish them in the land and show Pharaoh and [his minister] Haman and their soldiers through them that which they had feared. (28/6)


And We inspired to the mother of Moses, "Suckle him; but when you fear for him, cast him into the river and do not fear and do not grieve. Indeed, We will return him to you and will make him [one] of the messengers." (28/7)

And the family of Pharaoh picked him up [out of the river] so that he would become to them an enemy and a [cause of] grief. Indeed, Pharaoh and Haman and their soldiers were deliberate sinners. (28/8)

And the wife of Pharaoh said, "[He will be] a comfort of the eye [i.e., pleasure] for me and for you. Do not kill him; perhaps he may benefit us, or we may adopt him as a son." And they perceived not. (28/9)

And the heart of Moses' mother became empty [of all else]. She was about to disclose [the matter concerning] him had We not bound fast her heart that she would be of the believers. (28/10)

And she said to his sister, "Follow him"; so she watched him from a distance while they perceived not. (28/11)

And We had prevented from him [all] wet nurses before, so she said, "Shall I direct you to a household that will be responsible for him for you while they are to him [for his upbringing] sincere?" (28/12)

So We restored him to his mother that she might be content and not grieve and that she would know that the promise of Allah is true. But most of them [i.e., the people] do not know. (28/13)

And when he attained his full strength and was [mentally] mature, We bestowed upon him judgment and knowledge. And thus do We reward the doers of good. (28/14)

And he entered the city at a time of inattention by its people and found therein two men fighting: one from his faction and one from among his enemy. And the one from his faction called for help to him against the one from his enemy, so Moses struck him and [unintentionally] killed him. [Moses] said, "This is from the work of Satan. Indeed, he is a manifest, misleading enemy." (28/15)


He said, "My Lord, indeed I have wronged myself, so forgive me," and He forgave him. Indeed, He is the Forgiving, the Merciful. (28/16)

He said, "My Lord, for the favor You bestowed upon me, I will never be an assistant to the criminals." (28/17)

And he became inside the city fearful and anticipating [exposure], when suddenly the one who sought his help the previous day cried out to him [once again]. Moses said to him, "Indeed, you are an evident, [persistent] deviator." (28/18)

And when he wanted to strike the one who was an enemy to both of them, he said, "O Moses, do you intend to kill me as you killed someone yesterday? You only want to be a tyrant in the land and do not want to be of the amenders." (28/19)

And a man came from the farthest end of the city, running. He said, "O Moses, indeed the eminent ones are conferring over you [intending] to kill you, so leave [the city]; indeed, I am to you of the sincere advisors." (28/20)

So he left it, fearful and anticipating [apprehension]. He said, "My Lord, save me from the wrongdoing people." (28/21)

And when he directed himself toward Madyan, he said, "Perhaps my Lord will guide me to the sound way." (28/22)

And when he came to the water [i.e., well] of Madyan, he found there a crowd of people watering [their flocks], and he found aside from them two women driving back [their flocks]. He said, "What is your circumstance?" They said, "We do not water until the shepherds dispatch [their flocks]; and our father is an old man." (28/23)

So he watered [their flocks] for them; then he went back to the shade and said, "My Lord, indeed I am, for whatever good You would send down to me, in need." (28/24)


Then one of the two women came to him walking with shyness. She said, "Indeed, my father invites you that he may reward you for having watered for us." So when he came to him and related to him the story, he said, "Fear not. You have escaped from the wrongdoing people." (28/25)

One of the women said, "O my father, hire him. Indeed, the best one you can hire is the strong and the trustworthy." (28/26)

He said, "Indeed, I wish to wed you one of these, my two daughters, on [the condition] that you serve me for eight years; but if you complete ten, it will be [as a favor] from you. And I do not wish to put you in difficulty. You will find me, if Allah wills, from among the righteous." (28/27)

[Moses] said, "That is [established] between me and you. Whichever of the two terms I complete – there is no injustice to me, and Allah, over what we say, is Witness." (28/28)

And when Moses had completed the term and was traveling with his family, he perceived from the direction of the mount a fire. He said to his family, "Stay here; indeed, I have perceived a fire. Perhaps I will bring you from there [some] information or burning wood from the fire that you may warm yourselves." (28/29)

But when he came to it, he was called, "Blessed is whoever is at the fire and whoever is around it. And exalted is Allah, Lord of the worlds. (27/8)

O Moses, indeed it is I – Allah, the Exalted in Might, the Wise."  (27/9)


But when he came to it, he was called from the right side of the valley in a blessed spot – from the tree, "O Moses, indeed I am Allah, Lord of the worlds." (28/30)

And when he came to it, he was called, "O Moses,  (20/11)

Indeed, I am your Lord, so remove your sandals. Indeed, you are in the sacred valley of Tuwa. (20/12)

And I have chosen you, so listen to what is revealed [to you].  (20/13)

Indeed, I am Allah. There is no deity except Me, so worship Me and establish prayer for My remembrance. (20/14)

Indeed, the Hour is coming - I almost conceal it - so that every soul may be recompensed according to that for which it strives. (20/15)

So do not let one avert you from it who does not believe in it and follows his desire, for you [then] would perish. (20/16)

And what is that in your right hand, O Moses?"  (20/17)

He said, "It is my staff; I lean upon it, and I bring down leaves for my sheep and I have therein other uses."  (20/18)

[ Allah ] said, "Throw it down, O Moses."  (20/19)

So he threw it down, and thereupon it was a snake, moving swiftly.  (20/20)

…But when he saw it writhing as if it were a snake, he turned in flight and did not return. [Allah said], "O Moses, fear not. Indeed, in My presence the messengers do not fear.  (27/10)

Otherwise, he who wrongs, then substitutes good after evil – indeed, I am Forgiving and Merciful.  (27/11)

… [Allah said], "O Moses, approach and fear not. Indeed, you are of the secure. (28/31)

[Allah] said, "Seize it and fear not; We will return it to its former condition. (20/21)

And put your hand into the opening of your garment [at the breast]; it will come out white without disease. [These are] among the nine signs [you will take] to Pharaoh and his people…" (27/12)

…And draw in your arm close to you [as prevention] from fear, for those are two proofs from your Lord to Pharaoh and his establishment. Indeed, they have been a people defiantly disobedient." (28/32)

That We may show you [some] of Our greater signs. (20/23)

Go to Pharaoh. Indeed, he has transgressed [i.e., tyrannized]." (20/24)

And [mention] when your Lord called Moses, [saying], "Go to the wrongdoing people (26/10)

The people of Pharaoh. Will they not fear Allah?" (26/11)

He said, "My Lord, indeed I fear that they will deny me (26/12)

And my brother Aaron is more fluent than me in tongue, so send him with me as support, verifying me. Indeed, I fear that they will deny me." (28/34)

And that my breast will tighten and my tongue will not be fluent, so send for Aaron. (26/13)

He said, "My Lord, indeed I killed from among them someone, and I fear they will kill me. (28/33)

And they have upon me a [claim due to] sin, so I fear that they will kill me." (26/14)

 [Moses] said, "My Lord, expand [i.e., relax] for me my breast [with assurance]  (20/25)

And ease for me my task (20/26)

And untie the knot from my tongue (20/27)

That they may understand my speech. (20/28)

And appoint for me a minister [i.e., assistant] from my family – (20/29)

Aaron, my brother. (20/30)

Increase through him my strength (20/31)

And let him share my task (20/32)

That we may exalt You much (20/33)

And remember You much. (20/34)

Indeed, You are of us ever Seeing."(20/35)

[Allah] said, "You have been granted your request, O Moses. (20/36)

[Allah] said, "We will strengthen your arm through your brother and grant you both supremacy so they will not reach you. [It will be] through Our signs; you and those who follow you will be the predominant." (28/35)

And We had already conferred favor upon you another time, (20/37)

When We inspired to your mother what We inspired, (20/38)

[Saying], 'Cast him into the chest and cast it into the river, and the river will throw it onto the bank; there will take him an enemy to Me and an enemy to him.' And I bestowed upon you love from Me that you would be brought up under My eye [i.e., observation and care]. (20/39)

[And We favored you] when your sister went and said, 'Shall I direct you to someone who will be responsible for him?' So We restored you to your mother that she might be content and not grieve. And you killed someone, but We saved you from retaliation and tried you with a [severe] trial. And you remained [some] years among the people of Madyan. Then you came [here] at the decreed time, O Moses. (20/40)

And I produced you for Myself. (20/41)

Go, you and your brother, with My signs and do not slacken in My remembrance. (20/42)

Go, both of you, to Pharaoh. Indeed, he has transgressed. (20/43)

And speak to him with gentle speech that perhaps he may be reminded or fear [Allah]." (20/44)

They said, "Our Lord, indeed we are afraid that he will hasten [punishment] against us or that he will transgress." (20/45)

[Allah] said, "No. Go both of you with Our signs; indeed, We are with you, listening. (26/15)

 [Allah] said, "Fear not. Indeed, I am with you both; I hear and I see. (20/46)
So go to him and say, 'Indeed, we are messengers of your Lord, so send with us the Children of Israel and do not torment them. We have come to you with a sign from your Lord. And peace will be upon he who follows the guidance. (20/47)

Indeed, it has been revealed to us that the punishment will be upon whoever denies and turns away.' " (20/48)

[Pharaoh] said, "Did we not raise you among us as a child, and you remained among us for years of your life? (26/18)

And [then] you did your deed which you did, and you were of the ungrateful." (26/19)

[Moses] said, "I did it, then, while I was of those astray [i.e., ignorant]. (26/20)

So I fled from you when I feared you. Then my Lord granted me judgment [i.e., wisdom and prophethood] and appointed me [as one] of the messengers. (26/21)

And is this a favor of which you remind me – that you have enslaved the Children of Israel?" (26/22)

And Moses said, "O Pharaoh, I am a messenger from the Lord of the worlds (7/104)

[Who is] obligated not to say about Allah except the truth. I have come to you with clear evidence from your Lord, so send with me the Children of Israel."(7/105)

Said Pharaoh, "And what is the Lord of the worlds?" (26/23)

[Moses] said, "The Lord of the heavens and earth and that between them, if you should be convinced." (26/24)

[Pharaoh] said to those around him, "Do you not hear?" (26/25)

[Moses] said, "Your Lord and the Lord of your first forefathers." (26/26)

[Pharaoh] said, "Indeed, your 'messenger' who has been sent to you is mad." (26/27)

[Moses] said, "Lord of the east and the west and that between them, if you were to reason." (26/28)

[Pharaoh] said, "So who is the Lord of you two, O Moses?" (20/49)

He said, "Our Lord is He who gave each thing its form and then guided [it]." (20/50)

[Pharaoh] said, "Then what is the case of the former generations?" (20/51)

[Moses] said, "The knowledge thereof is with my Lord in a record. My Lord neither errs nor forgets." (20/52)

[It is He] who has made for you the earth as a bed [spread out] and inserted therein for you roadways and sent down from the sky, rain and produced thereby categories of various plants. (20/53)

Eat [therefrom] and pasture your livestock. Indeed in that are signs for those of intelligence. (20/54)

From it [i.e., the earth] We created you, and into it We will return you, and from it We will extract you another time. (20/55)

[Pharaoh] said, "If you take a god other than me, I will surely place you among those imprisoned." (26/29)

[Moses] said, "Even if I brought you something [i.e., proof] manifest?"  (26/30)

[Pharaoh] said, "If you have come with a sign, then bring it forth, if you should be of the truthful."  (7/106)


So Moses threw his staff, and suddenly it was a serpent, manifest. (7/107)

And he drew out his hand; thereupon it was white [with radiance] for the observers. (7/108)

But when he brought them Our signs, at once they laughed at them.  (43/47)

Said the eminent among the people of Pharaoh, "Indeed, this is a learned magician (7/109)

Who wants to expel you from your land [through magic], so what do you instruct? " (7/110)

Moses said, "Do you say [thus] about the truth when it has come to you? Is this magic? But magicians will not succeed."  (10/77)

They said, "Have you come to us to turn us away from that upon which we found our fathers and so that you two may have grandeur in the land? And we are not believers in you."  (10/78)

And Moses said, "My Lord is more knowing [than we or you] of who has come with guidance from Him and to whom will be succession in the home. Indeed, wrongdoers do not succeed." (28/37)

…but they were arrogant and were a haughty people.  (23/46)

He said, "Have you come to us to drive us out of our land with your magic, O Moses? (20/57)

They said, "Should we believe two men like ourselves while their people are for us in servitude?"  (23/47)

They said, "Postpone [the matter of] him and his brother and send among the cities gatherers (7/111)

Who will bring you every learned magician."  (7/112)

Then we will surely bring you magic like it, so make between us and you an appointment, which we will not fail to keep and neither will you, in a place assigned." (20/58)

[Moses] said, "Your appointment is on the day of the festival when the people assemble at mid-morning." (20/59)

And Pharaoh said, "Bring to me every learned magician."  (10/79)

And the magicians came to Pharaoh. They said, "Indeed for us is a reward if we are the predominant."  (7/113)

He said, "Yes, and, [moreover], you will be among those made near [to me]."  (7/114)

So Pharaoh went away, put together his plan, and then came [to Moses]. (20/60)

Moses said to them [i.e., the magicians summoned by Pharaoh], "Woe to you! Do not invent a lie against Allah or He will exterminate you with a punishment; and he has failed who invents [such falsehood]."  (20/61)

So they disputed over their affair among themselves and concealed their private conversation. (20/62)

They said, "Indeed, these are two magicians who want to drive you out of your land with their magic and do away with your most exemplary way [i.e., religion or tradition].  (20/63)

So resolve upon your plan and then come [forward] in line. And he has succeeded today who overcomes." (20/64)

So the magicians were assembled for the appointment of a well-known day.  (26/38)

And it was said to the people, "Will you congregate (26/39)

That we might follow the magicians if they are the predominant?"  (26/40)

And Pharaoh called out among his people; he said, "O my people,  does not the kingdom of Egypt belong to me, and these rivers flowing beneath me; then do you not see?  (43/51)

Or am I [not] better than this one [i.e., Moses] who is insignificant and hardly makes himself clear?  (43/52)

Then why have there not been placed upon him bracelets of gold or come with him the angels in conjunction?"  (43/53)

So he despised his people, and they obeyed him. Indeed, they were [themselves] a people defiantly disobedient [of Allah].  (43/54)

They said, "O Moses, either you throw [your staff], or we will be the ones to throw [first]."  (7/115)

So when the magicians came, Moses said to them, "Throw down whatever you will throw."  (10/80)

So they threw their ropes and their staffs and said, "By the might of Pharaoh, indeed it is we who are predominant."  (26/44)

... and when they threw, they bewitched the eyes of the people and struck terror into them, and they presented a great [feat of] magic.  (7/116)

He said, "Rather, you throw." And suddenly their ropes and staffs seemed to him from their magic that they were moving [like snakes]. (20/66)


And he sensed within himself apprehension, did Moses. (20/67)

We [i.e., Allah] said, "Fear not. Indeed, it is you who are superior. (20/68)

And throw what is in your right hand; it will swallow up what they have crafted. What they have crafted is but the trick of a magician, and the magician will not succeed wherever he is." (20/69)

And when they had thrown, Moses said, "What you have brought is [only] magic. Indeed, Allah will expose its worthlessness. Indeed, Allah does not amend the work of corrupters. (10/81)

And Allah will establish the truth by His words, even if the criminals dislike it."(10/82)

And We inspired to Moses, "Throw your staff," and at once it devoured what they were falsifying. (7/117)

Then Moses threw his staff, and at once it devoured what they falsified.  (26/45)

So the truth was established, and abolished was what they were doing. (7/118)

And Pharaoh and his people were overcome right there and became debased. (7/119)

And the magicians fell down in prostration [to Allah ]. (7/120)

They said, "We have believed in the Lord of the worlds,  (7/121)

The Lord of Moses and Aaron."  (7/122)

Said Pharaoh, "You believed in him before I gave you permission. Indeed, this is a conspiracy which you conspired in the city to expel therefrom its people. But you are going to know. (7/123)

[Pharaoh] said, "You believed him [i.e., Moses] before I gave you permission. Indeed, he is your leader who has taught you magic. So I will surely cut off your hands and your feet on opposite sides, and I will crucify you on the trunks of palm trees, and you will surely know which of us is more severe in [giving] punishment and more enduring." (20/71)

They said, "No harm. Indeed, to our Lord we will return. (26/50)

Indeed, we aspire that our Lord will forgive us our sins because we were the first of the believers."  (26/51)

They said, "Never will we prefer you over what has come to us of clear proofs and [over] He who created us. So decree whatever you are to decree. You can only decree for this worldly life. (20/72)

Indeed, we have believed in our Lord that He may forgive us our sins and what you compelled us [to do] of magic. And Allah is better and more enduring." (20/73)

And you do not resent us except because we believed in the signs of our Lord when they came to us. Our Lord, pour upon us patience and let us die as Muslims [in submission to You]."  (7/126)

But no one believed Moses, except [some] youths among his people, for fear of Pharaoh and his establishment that they would persecute them. And indeed, Pharaoh was haughty within the land, and indeed, he was of the transgressors (10/83)

And Pharaoh said, "Let me kill Moses and let him call upon his Lord. Indeed, I fear that he will change your religion or that he will cause corruption in the land."  (40/26)

But Moses said, "Indeed, I have sought refuge in my Lord and your Lord from every arrogant one who does not believe in the Day of Account." (40/27)

And Moses said, "O my people, if you have believed in Allah, then rely upon Him, if you should be Muslims."(10/84)

So they said, "Upon Allah do we rely. Our Lord, make us not [objects of] trial for the wrongdoing people (10/85)

And save us by Your mercy from the disbelieving people."(10/86)

And a believing man from the family of Pharaoh who concealed his faith said, "Do you kill a man [merely] because he says,  'My Lord is Allah' while he has brought you clear proofs from your Lord? And if he should be lying, then upon him is [the consequence of] his lie; but if he should be truthful, there will strike you some of what he promises you. Indeed, Allah does not guide one who is a transgressor and a liar. (40/28)

O my people, sovereignty is yours today, [your being] dominant in the land. But who would protect us from the punishment of Allah if it came to us?" Pharaoh said, "I do not show you except what I see, and I do not guide you except to the way of right conduct." (40/29)

And he who believed said, "O my people, indeed I fear for you [a fate] like the day of the companies- (40/30)

Like the custom of the people of Noah and of Aad and Thamud and those after them. And Allah wants no injustice for [His] servants. (40/31)

And O my people, indeed I fear for you the Day of Calling– (40/32)

The Day you will turn your backs fleeing; there is not for you from Allah any protector. And whoever Allah leaves astray there is not for him any guide. (40/33)

And Joseph had already come to you before with clear proofs,  but you remained in doubt of that which he brought to you, until when he died, you said, 'Never will Allah send a messenger after him.' …" (40/34)

And Pharaoh said, "O Haman, construct for me a tower that I might reach the ways– (40/36)

The ways into the heavens – so that I may look at the deity of Moses; but indeed, I think he is a liar." And thus was made attractive to Pharaoh the evil of his deed, and he was averted from the [right] way. And the plan of Pharaoh was not except in ruin. (40/37)

And he who believed said, "O my people, follow me; I will guide you to the way of right conduct. (40/38)

O my people, this worldly life is only [temporary] enjoyment,  and indeed, the Hereafter – that is the home of [permanent]settlement. (40/39)

And O my people, how is it that I invite you to salvation while you invite me to the Fire? (40/41)

You invite me to disbelieve in Allah and associate with Him that of which I have no knowledge, and I invite you to the Exalted in Might, the Perpetual Forgiver. (40/42)

Assuredly, that to which you invite me has no [response to a]  supplication in this world or in the Hereafter; and indeed, our return i s to Allah, and indeed, the transgressors will be companions of the Fire. (40/43)

And you will remember what I [now] say to you, and I entrust my affair to Allah. Indeed, Allah is Seeing of [His] servants." (40/44)

So Allah protected him from the evils they plotted… (40/45)

And Pharaoh said, "O eminent ones, I have not known you to have a god other than me. Then ignite for me, O Haman, [a fire] upon the clay and make for me a tower that I may look at the God of Moses. And indeed, I do think he is among the liars." (28/38)

And We inspired to Moses and his brother, "Settle your people in Egypt in houses and make your houses [facing the] qiblah and establish prayer and give good tidings to the believers."(10/87)

And Moses said, "Our Lord, indeed You have given Pharaoh and his establishment splendor and wealth in the worldly life, our Lord, that they may lead [men] astray from Your way. Our Lord, obliterate their wealth and harden their hearts so that they will not believe until they see the painful punishment."(10/88)

[ Allah ] said, "Your supplication has been answered." So remain on a right course and follow not the way of those who do not know."  (10/89)

And the eminent among the people of Pharaoh said," Will you leave Moses and his people to cause corruption in the land and abandon you and your gods?" [Pharaoh] said, "We will kill their sons and keep their women alive; and indeed, we are subjugators over them."  (7/127)

Said Moses to his people, "Seek help through Allah and be patient. Indeed, the earth belongs to Allah. He causes to inherit it whom He wills of His servants. And the [best] outcome is for the righteous."  (7/128)

They said, "We have been harmed before you came to us and after you have come to us." He said, "Perhaps your Lord will destroy your enemy and grant you succession in the land and see how you will do."  (7/129)

And We certainly seized the people of Pharaoh with years of famine and a deficiency in fruits that perhaps they would be reminded.  (7/130)

But when good came to them, they said, "This is ours [by right]." And if a bad [condition] struck them, they saw an evil omen in Moses and those with him. Unquestionably, their fortune is with Allah, but most of them do not know.  (7/131)


And they said, "No matter what sign you bring us with which to bewitch us, we will not be believers in you."  (7/132)

So We sent upon them the flood and locusts and lice and frogs and blood as distinct signs, but they were arrogant and were a criminal people. (7/133)

And when the punishment descended upon them, they said, "O Moses, invoke for us your Lord by what He has promised you. If you [can] remove the punishment from us, we will surely believe you, and we will send with you the Children of Israel."  (7/134)

But when We removed the punishment from them until a term which they were to reach, then at once they broke their word. (7/135)

And We inspired to Moses, "Travel by night with My servants; indeed, you will be pursued."  (26/52)

And We had inspired to Moses, "Travel by night with My servants and strike for them a dry path through the sea; you will not fear being overtaken [by Pharaoh] nor be afraid [of drowning]." (20/77)

Then Pharaoh sent among the cities gatherers (26/53)

[And said], "Indeed, those are but a small band, (26/54)

And indeed, they are enraging us, (26/55)

And indeed, we are a cautious society..." (26/56)

So We removed them from gardens and springs (26/57)

And treasures and honorable station (26/58)

So they pursued them at sunrise. (26/60)

And when the two companies saw one another, the companions of Moses said, "Indeed, we are to be overtaken!" (26/61)

[Moses] said, "No! Indeed, with me is my Lord; He will guide me." (26/62)

Then We inspired to Moses, "Strike with your staff the sea," and it parted, and each portion was like a great towering mountain. (26/63)



And We took the Children of Israel across the sea, and Pharaoh and his soldiers pursued them in tyranny and enmity until, when drowning overtook him, he said, "I believe that there is no deity except that in whom the Children of Israel believe, and I am of the Muslims."  (10/90)

Now? And you had disobeyed [Him] before and were of the corrupters? (10/91)

So today We will save you in body that you may be to those who succeed you a sign. And indeed, many among the people, of Our signs, are heedless (10/92)  


So We took retribution from them, and We drowned them in the sea because they denied Our signs and were heedless of them. (7/136)

And We saved Moses and those with him, all together. (26/65)

And We caused the people who had been oppressed to inherit the eastern regions of the land and the western ones, which We had blessed. And the good word of your Lord was fulfilled for the Children of Israel because of what they had patiently endured. And We destroyed [all] that Pharaoh and his people were producing and what they had been building. (7/137)

And We took the Children of Israel across the sea; then they came upon a people intent in devotion to [some] idols of theirs. They said, "O Moses, make for us a god just as they have gods." He said, "Indeed, you are a people behaving ignorantly. (7/138)

Indeed, those [worshippers] - destroyed is that in which they are [engaged], and worthless is whatever they were doing."(7/139)

He said, "Is it other than Allah I should desire for you as a god while He has preferred you over the worlds?"(7/140)

And [recall, O Children of Israel], when We saved you from the people of Pharaoh, [who were] afflicting you with the worst torment - killing your sons and keeping your women alive. And in that was a great trial from your Lord. (7/141)

And We made an appointment with Moses for thirty nights and perfected them by [the addition of] ten; so the term of his Lord was completed as forty nights. And Moses said to his brother Aaron, "Take my place among my people, do right [by them], and do not follow the way of the corrupters."  (7/142)

And when Moses arrived at Our appointed time and his Lord spoke to him, he said, "My Lord, show me [Yourself] that I may look at You." [ Allah ] said, "You will not see Me, but look at the mountain; if it should remain in place, then you will see Me." But when his Lord appeared to the mountain, He rendered it level, and Moses fell unconscious. And when he awoke, he said, "Exalted are You! I have repented to You, and I am the first of the believers."  (7/143)

[Allah said], "And what made you hasten from your people, O Moses?" (20/83)

He said, "They are close upon my tracks, and I hastened to You, my Lord, that You be pleased." (20/84)

[Allah] said, "But indeed, We have tried your people after you [departed], and the Samiri has led them astray." (20/85)

And [recall] when We made an appointment with Moses for forty nights. Then you took [for worship] the calf after him, while you were wrongdoers.  (2/51)



And he extracted for them [the statue of] a calf which had a lowing sound, and they said, "This is your god and the god of Moses, but he forgot." (20/88)

And Aaron had already told them before [the return of Moses], "O my people, you are only being tested by it, and indeed, your Lord is the Most Merciful, so follow me and obey my order." (20/90)

They said, "We will never cease being devoted to it [i.e., the calf] until Moses returns to us." (20/91)

[ Allah ] said, "O Moses, I have chosen you over the people with My messages and My words [to you]. So take what I have given you and be among the grateful."  (7/144)

And We wrote for him on the tablets [something] of all things - instruction and explanation for all things, [saying], "Take them with determination and order your people to take the best of it. I will show you the home of the defiantly disobedient."  (7/145)

So Moses returned to his people, angry and grieved. He said, "O my people, did your Lord not make you a good promise? Then, was the time [of its fulfillment] too long for you, or did you wish that wrath from your Lord descend upon you, so you broke your promise [of obedience] to me?" (20/86)

They said, "We did not break our promise to you by our will, but we were made to carry burdens from the ornaments of the people [of Pharaoh], so we threw them [into the fire], and thus did the Samiri throw." (20/87)

And when Moses returned to his people, angry and grieved, he said, "How wretched is that by which you have replaced me after [my departure]. Were you impatient over the matter of your Lord?" And he threw down the tablets and seized his brother by [the hair of] his head, pulling him toward him. [Aaron] said, "O son of my mother, indeed the people oppressed me and were about to kill me, so let not the enemies rejoice over me and do not place me among the wrongdoing people."  (7/150)

[Moses] said, "O Aaron, what prevented you, when you saw them going astray, (20/92)

From following me? Then have you disobeyed my order?" (20/93)

[Aaron] said, "O son of my mother, do not seize [me] by my beard or by my head. Indeed, I feared that you would say,  'You caused division among the Children of Israel, and you did not observe [or await] my word.' " (20/94)

[Moses] said, "My Lord, forgive me and my brother and admit us into Your mercy, for You are the most merciful of the merciful."  (7/151)

[Moses] said, "And what is your case, O Samiri?" (20/95)

He said, "I saw what they did not see, so I took a handful [of dust] from the track of the messenger and threw it, and thus did my soul entice me." (20/96)

[Moses] said, "Then go. And indeed, it is [decreed] for you in [this] life to say, 'No contact.' And indeed, you have an appointment [in the Hereafter] you will not fail to keep. And look at your 'god' to which you remained devoted. We will surely burn it and blow it [i.e., its ashes] into the sea with a blast. (20/97)

Your god is only Allah, except for whom there is no deity. He has encompassed all things in knowledge." (20/98)

And when regret overcame them and they saw that they had gone astray, they said, "If our Lord does not have mercy upon us and forgive us, we will surely be among the losers."  (7/149)

And when the anger subsided in Moses, he took up the tablets; and in their inscription was guidance and mercy for those who are fearful of their Lord.  (7/154)

And [recall] when Moses said to his people, "O my people, indeed you have wronged yourselves by your taking of the calf [for worship]. So repent to your Creator and kill yourselves. That is best for [all of] you in the sight of your Creator." Then He accepted your repentance; indeed, He is the Accepting of repentance, the Merciful. (2/54)

And [recall] when Moses said to his people, "Indeed, Allah commands you to slaughter a cow." They said, "Do you take us in ridicule?" He said, "I seek refuge in Allah from being among the ignorant."  (2/67)

They said, "Call upon your Lord to make clear to us what it is." [Moses] said, "[ Allah ] says, 'It is a cow which is neither old nor virgin, but median between that,' so do what you are commanded."  (2/68)

They said, "Call upon your Lord to show us what is her color." He said, "He says, 'It is a yellow cow, bright in color - pleasing to the observers.' " (2/69)

They said, "Call upon your Lord to make clear to us what it is. Indeed, [all] cows look alike to us. And indeed we, if Allah wills, will be guided."  (2/70)

He said, "He says, 'It is a cow neither trained to plow the earth nor to irrigate the field, one free from fault with no spot upon her.' " They said, "Now you have come with the truth." So they slaughtered her, but they could hardly do it. (2/71)

And [recall] when you slew a man and disputed over it, but Allah was to bring out that which you were concealing.  (2/72)

So, We said, "Strike the slain man with part of it." Thus does Allah bring the dead to life, and He shows you His signs that you might reason.  (2/73)

Then We forgave you after that so perhaps you would be grateful. (2/52)

And [recall] when We gave Moses the Scripture and criterion that perhaps you would be guided. (2/53)

And [recall] when you said, "O Moses, we will never believe you until we see Allah outright"; so the thunderbolt took you while you were looking on. (2/55)

O Children of Israel, We delivered you from your enemy, and We made an appointment with you at the right side of the mount,  (20/80)

And Moses chose from his people seventy men for Our appointment. And when the earthquake seized them, he said, "My Lord, if You had willed, You could have destroyed them before and me [as well]. Would You destroy us for what the foolish among us have done? This is not but Your trial by which You send astray whom You will and guide whom You will. You are our Protector, so forgive us and have mercy upon us; and You are the best of forgivers. (7/155)

Then We revived you after your death that perhaps you would be grateful.  (2/56)

And among the people of Moses is a community which guides by truth and by it establishes justice. (7/159)

And [recall] when Moses prayed for water for his people, so We said, "Strike with your staff the stone." And there gushed forth from it twelve springs, and every people knew its watering place. "Eat and drink from the provision of Allah, and do not commit abuse on the earth, spreading corruption."  (2/60)


And We divided them into twelve descendant tribes [as distinct] nations. And We inspired to Moses when his people implored him for water, "Strike with your staff the stone," and there gushed forth from it twelve springs. Every people knew its watering place. And We shaded them with clouds and sent down upon them manna and quails, [saying], "Eat from the good things with which We have provided you." And they wronged Us not, but they were [only] wronging themselves. (7/160)

And [recall] when you said, "O Moses, we can never endure one [kind of] food. So call upon your Lord to bring forth for us from the earth its green herbs and its cucumbers and its garlic and its lentils and its onions." [Moses] said, "Would you exchange what is better for what is less? Go into [any] settlement and indeed, you will have what you have asked." And they were covered with humiliation and poverty and returned with anger from Allah [upon them]... (2/61)

And [recall] when We said, "Enter this city and eat from it wherever you will in [ease and] abundance, and enter the gate bowing humbly and say, 'Relieve us of our burdens.' We will [then] forgive your sins for you, and We will increase the doers of good [in goodness and reward]."  (2/58)

But those who wronged changed [those words] to a statement other than that which had been said to them, so We sent down upon those who wronged a punishment from the sky because they were defiantly disobeying. (2/59)

And [mention, O Muhammad], when Moses said to his people, "O my people, remember the favor of Allah upon you when He appointed among you prophets and made you possessors and gave you that which He had not given anyone among the worlds. (5/20)

O my people, enter the Holy Land which Allah has assigned to you and do not turn back [from fighting in Allah 's cause] and [thus] become losers."  (5/21)

They said, "O Moses, indeed within it is a people of tyrannical strength, and indeed, we will never enter it until they leave it; but if they leave it, then we will enter."  (5/22)

Said two men from those who feared [to disobey] upon whom Allah had bestowed favor, "Enter upon them through the gate, for when you have entered it, you will be predominant. And upon Allah rely, if you should be believers."  (5/23)

They said, "O Moses, indeed we will not enter it, ever, as long as they are within it; so go, you and your Lord, and fight. Indeed, we are remaining right here."  (5/24)

[Moses] said, "My Lord, indeed I do not possess except myself and my brother, so part us from the defiantly disobedient people."  (5/25)

[ Allah ] said, "Then indeed, it is forbidden to them for forty years [in which] they will wander throughout the land. So do not grieve over the defiantly disobedient people."  (5/26)

And [recall] when We took your covenant, [O Children of Israel, to abide by the Torah] and We raised over you the mount, [saying], "Take what We have given you with determination and remember what is in it that perhaps you may become righteous."  (2/63)

Then you turned away after that. And if not for the favor of Allah upon you and His mercy, you would have been among the losers. (2/64)

And ask them about the town that was by the sea - when they transgressed in [the matter of] the Sabbath - when their fish came to them openly on their Sabbath day, and the day they had no Sabbath they did not come to them. Thus did We give them trial because they were defiantly disobedient. (7/163)

And when a community among them said, "Why do you advise [or warn] a people whom Allah is [about] to destroy or to punish with a severe punishment?" they [the advisors] said, "To be absolved before your Lord and perhaps they may fear Him."  (7/164)

And when they forgot that by which they had been reminded, We saved those who had forbidden evil and seized those who wronged, with a wretched punishment, because they were defiantly disobeying. (7/165)

And you had already known about those who transgressed among you concerning the Sabbath, and We said to them, "Be apes, despised."  (2/65)

Indeed, Qarun was from the people of Moses, but he tyrannized them. And We gave him of treasures whose keys would burden a band of strong men; thereupon his people said to him, "Do not exult. Indeed, Allah does not like the exultant. (28/76)

But seek, through that which Allah has given you, the home of the Hereafter; and [yet], do not forget your share of the world. And do good as Allah has done good to you. And desire not corruption in the land. Indeed, Allah does not like corrupters." (28/77)

He said, "I was only given it because of knowledge I have." Did he not know that Allah had destroyed before him of generations those who were greater than him in power and greater in accumulation [of wealth]? But the criminals, about their sins, will not be asked. (28/78)

So he came out before his people in his adornment. Those who desired the worldly life said, "Oh, would that we had like what was given to Qarun. Indeed, he is one of great fortune." (28/79)

But those who had been given knowledge said, "Woe to you! The reward of Allah is better for he who believes and does righteousness. And none are granted it except the patient." (28/80)

O you who have believed, be not like those who abused Moses;  then Allah cleared him of what they said. And he, in the sight of Allah, was distinguished.  (33/69)

And We caused the earth to swallow him and his home. And there was for him no company to aid him other than Allah, nor was he of those who [could] defend themselves. (28/81)

And those who had wished for his position the previous day began to say, "Oh, how Allah extends provision to whom He wills of His servants and restricts it! If not that Allah had conferred favor on us, He would have caused it to swallow us. Oh, how the disbelievers do not succeed!"  (28/82)

And [mention] when Moses said to his boy [i.e., servant], "I will not cease [traveling] until I reach the junction of the twoseas or continue for a long period." (18/60)

But when they reached the junction between them, they forgot their fish, and it took its course into the sea, slipping away. (18/61)

So when they had passed beyond it, [Moses] said to his boy, "Bring us our morning meal. We have certainly suffered in this, our journey, [much] fatigue." (18/62)

He said, "Did you see when we retired to the rock? Indeed, I forgot [there] the fish. And none made me forget it except Satan – that I should mention it. And it took its course into the sea amazingly." (18/63)

[Moses] said, "That is what we were seeking." So they returned, following their footprints. (18/64)

And they found a servant from among Our servants [i.e., al-Khidhr] to whom We had given mercy from Us and had taught him from Us a [certain] knowledge. (18/65)

Moses said to him, "May I follow you on [the condition] that you teach me from what you have been taught of sound judgement?" (18/66)

He said, "Indeed, with me you will never be able to have patience. (18/67)

And how can you have patience for what you do not encompass in knowledge?" (18/68)

[Moses] said, "You will find me, if Allah wills, patient, and I will not disobey you in [any] order." (18/69)

He said, "Then if you follow me, do not ask me about anything until I make to you about it mention [i.e., explanation]." (18/70)

So they set out, until when they had embarked on the ship, he [i.e., al-Khidhr] tore it open. [Moses] said, "Have you torn it open to drown its people? You have certainly done a grave thing." (18/71)

[Al-Khidhr] said, "Did I not say that with me you would never be able to have patience?" (18/72)

[Moses] said, "Do not blame me for what I forgot and do not cover me in my matter with difficulty." (18/73)

So they set out, until when they met a boy, he [i.e., al-Khidhr] killed him. [Moses] said, "Have you killed a pure soul for other than [having killed] a soul? You have certainly done a deplorable thing." (18/74)

[Al-Khidhr] said, "Did I not tell you that with me you would never be able to have patience?" (18/75)

[Moses] said, "If I should ask you about anything after this, then do not keep me as a companion. You have obtained from me an excuse." (18/76)

So they set out, until when they came to the people of a town, they asked its people for food, but they refused to offer them hospitality. And they found therein a wall about to collapse, so he [i.e., al-Khidhr] restored it. [Moses] said, "If you wished, you could have taken for it a payment." (18/77)

[Al-Khidhr] said, "This is parting between me and you. I will inform you of the interpretation of that about which you could not have patience. (18/78)

As for the ship, it belonged to poor people working at sea. So I intended to cause defect in it as there was after them a king who seized every [good] ship by force. (18/79)

And as for the boy, his parents were believers, and we feared that he would overburden them by transgression and disbelief. (18/80)

So we intended that their Lord should substitute for them one better than him in purity and nearer to mercy. (18/81)

And as for the wall, it belonged to two orphan boys in the city, and there was beneath it a treasure for them, and their father had been righteous. So your Lord intended that they reach maturity and extract their treasure, as a mercy from your Lord. And I did it not of my own accord. That is the interpretation of that about which you could not have patience." (18/82)

And We did certainly confer favor upon Moses and Aaron.  (37/114)

And We saved them and their people from the great affliction, (37/115)

And We supported them so it was they who overcame. (37/116)

And We gave them the explicit Scripture [i.e., the Torah], (37/117)

And We guided them on the straight path. (37/118)

And We left for them [favorable mention] among later generations: (37/119)

"Peace upon Moses and Aaron." (37/120)

Indeed, We thus reward the doers of good. (37/121)

Indeed, they were of Our believing servants. (37/122)






No comments:

Post a Comment